Last modified: June 1, 2012
There are many different ways you can use our services view live streams and on demand media types, to upload and create content mashups, to publish different media streams, to communicate with other people. When you share information with us, for example by creating a MultiStream account, we can make those services even better to show you relevant ads, to help you connect with people or to make sharing with others quicker and easier. As you use our services, we take privacy seriously and have a number of ways to protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to our users from determining your local language to bringing you ads you will find most useful or the people who matter most to you online.
We collect information in two ways:
- Information you give us: Many of our services require you to sign up for a MultiStream Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number or credit card.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We may collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you visit a website that uses our own or Google’s advertising services or you view and interact with our ads and content. This information includes:
- Device information: We may collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). We may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your MultiStream Account.
- Log information: When you use our services or view content provided by us or partners such as Google, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
- telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
- internet protocol address
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your MultiStream Account.
- Location information: If you use a location-enabled MultiStream service, we may collect and process information about your actual location, like GPS signals sent by a mobile device. We may also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from your device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Unique application numbers: Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to MultiStream when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
- Local storage: We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect MultiStream and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content like giving you more relevant search results and ads.
We may use the name you provide for your MultiStream Profile across other services. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your Account so that you are represented consistently across all our services. If other users already have information that identifies you such as your e-mail address, we may show them your MultiStream Profile information, such as your name and photo.
When you contact MultiStream, we may keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer. When showing you tailored ads, we will not associate a cookie or anonymous identifier with sensitive categories, such as those based on race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other MultiStream or partner services such as SmoothWeb for example to make it easier to share things with people you know.
MultiStream processes personal information on our servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
Transparency and choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:
- Review and control certain types of information tied to your Account by using your Profile Manager.
- View and edit your ad preferences.
- Control who you share information with.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, please remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, we may not remember your language preferences.
Information you share
Many of our services let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including third party partners such as Google. Our services provide you with different options on sharing and removing your content.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside MultiStream unless one of the following circumstances apply:
- With your consent: We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside MultiStream when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- For legal reasons: We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside MultiStream if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of MultiStream, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personal information publicly and with our partners - like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect MultiStream and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We offer you secure access through userID and password to access your channel account when you access your MultiStream Account.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to MultiStream employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
Advertising privacy FAQ
How does Multistream protect my privacy when it comes to advertising?
Advertisements are placed on the top and bottom of each channel page as a banner and on the top and bottom page as banners and in a larger display size on the left-hand side. Depending on the category your channel falls under, ads displayed will normally be relevant. For example, a sports category channel will usually display a sports and/or lifestyle-related advertisement.
We make protecting privacy a priority by being clear about what information we collect and how we will use the information to show relevant ads. We also make it easy for you to upgrade to opt out of personalized ads on a variety of services ranging from our own ad engine to third party provision, i.e. through Google AdSense. We will not sell or share with third parties your personally identifying information from ad serving cookies without your consent.
What information does MultiStream use to serve me ads?
We serve ads through the Google AdSense and AdMob programs on our channels and services. We may also allow inline ads to be placed in channel owner mediaboards in partnership with channel owners. We use a variety of methods to deliver ads that are relevant.
Google serves ads based on the content of channels you have viewed and may also use other partner data to target ads. In addition, ads may be served based on your interests. As you browse MultiStream channel sites or websites that have partnered with us or use and download media on your device, MultiStream may place cookies or anonymous identifiers (see more on anonymous identifiers below) in your browser or on your device to understand the types of pages visited, content that you viewed or applications on your mobile device. Based on this information and/or anonymized partner data, we associate your cookies or anonymous identifiers with relevant interest categories and uses these categories to show interest-based ads. For example, if you have a lot of content related to travel,, MultiStream may show more ads related to travel. Alternatively, if you upload golf media, MultiStream may show you ads related to golf. MultiStream may also show you ads related to the content of sites in your recent browsing history. MultiStream can also use the embed links and user profiles to infer demographics like your gender and age category. For example, if you have a majority of female visitors (based on aggregated survey data or content usage), we may associate your cookies and anonymous identifiers with the female demographic category.
In addition to ads based on interest categories, MultiStream allows advertisers (including Google) to show you ads based on your previous interactions online or in applications, such as visits to advertisers websites or applications. For example, someone who visited the website or shopping application of an online sporting goods store as a click through form your content can later receive ads about special offers from that store.
MultiStream will not associate sensitive interest categories with your cookies or anonymous identifiers (such as those based on race, religion, sexual orientation, health, or sensitive financial categories), and will not use such categories when showing you interest-based ads.
What information does MultiStream use to serve me interest-based ads?
MultiStream also displays interest-based advertising to show relevant ads on the channel and aggregate sites. The interest categories are determined by your users visits and links to websites from your channel, as well as by the content searches made on the platform, or actions you take as a broadcaster (such as uploading) on a MultiStream Channel. We do not combine personally identifiable information from your account or with the cookie data used to serve interest-based advertising without your consent.
What is an anonymous identifier and how is it used in ad serving on MultiStream?
To serve ads in services where cookie technology may not be available, we may use anonymous identifiers. To serve ads that are relevant and tailored to your interests, we may use information about your activity in these services as well as non-personally identifying information, such as demographic data.
Mobile applications may have access to your device identifier and may pass it to Google when you use an application that displays Google AdSense or AdMob ads. Whether or not we receive your device identifier, we only associate information directly with anonymous identifiers, not with device identifiers themselves. In cases where we receive your device identifier, an anonymous identifier is created in association with your device. This allows you full control, because unlike a device identifier that you cannot change or delete, you can choose to reset or disable anonymous identifiers at any time.
- How does MultiStream protect my privacy?
- Are there different privacy laws in different countries?
- Do governments ask for data on users?
- How can I contact MultiStream if I have a privacy question or complaint?
How does MultiStream protect my privacy?
At MultiStream, we are conscious of the trust our users place in our platform, and our responsibility to protect our users privacy. We will tell you which information we collect when you sign up and use our products and services. We will also let you know how we use that information to improve our services. Check out our tutorials and videos and our Help pages to understand how we protect privacy at MultiStream.
Are there different privacy laws in different territories?
Do governments ask for data on users?
AS with other internet an communications providers, from time to time, we receive requests from government agencies around the world to provide information about users of our services and products.